Sunday, January 26, 2020

Genre Research Brightburn

My Group the Researched Brightur

Before I list them off, I must say I disliked the movie so I may have a little bias. 

Common Camera angles, movement, and shots:
-Many long shots in the movie, you can see all of these shots in the posters for the movie also. 
-A lot tilted close-ups of the protagonist's face. I guess they did this to show his expression, but they didn't need to tilt it so much.
-I didn't see any memorable shots. They were all pretty standard. 
-There were a few dolly shots used.


Mis En Scene:
-The lighting was really dark or really cloudy when they first started showing him do evil things. Before that, it was all bright light.
-No costumes other than the brightburn "superhero costume that was handmade." It was a good mix of creepy and realistic.
-Areas recorded in were the small town, houses, the school, an empty road, and a farm.
- There were many props but the most memorable was a lawnmower, the papers with his symbol, and bats.
- The movie is not really focused on a time of day.


Editing:
- In all the fight scenes there are shaky cams to help the viewer feel the pressure.
-Eye-line matches between characters and objects are pretty prominent
- There are some fades in and out of scenes.
- Lots of jump cuts everywhere.


Sound:
-Heavy use of no sound. It actually was really awkward during the scenes where brightburn was focusing on his target. They had no ambient noise and just the person yelling before they died.
- During the day, the ambient is pretty good, it was realistic enough, but I think the tones of some actors were off for their role.


Elements of the movie:
-The main plot of the movie is a boy is adopted after being found in a spaceship. Later on, when he's about 13 a powerful darkness manifests within him, and many people become scared of him. Once Brandon begins to act on his urge to use his power, he starts harming friends, family, and classmates.
-The main conflict is between the protagonist and his victims. I would say the main thing they try to do is show interesting ways people die.
-The movie tries to create a creepy tone, but many of the scenes where someone is getting attacked it feels unpolished. I think It was trying to keep the audience on the edge of their seat though..


Elements I liked:
-A lot of interesting ways people are killed.
-Really good acting on the part of the main character was able to keep me entertained.
-It was more of a "fun time" thriller than a serious one which is pretty hard to do. I thought that was the most impressive part.


Elements I disliked:
- Many plotholes that were not easy to overlook in the movie.
- Not enough of a soundtrack for me. The soundtrack and effects were almost nonexistent.
-The direction made these quick scenes take a while when most of the audience probably wanted to see horror right away.
Image result for brightburn movie poster

No comments:

Post a Comment